Many pet owners have discovered that the cannabinoids found in hemp offer a natural supplement to their dog’s diet that can help with pain, anxiety, and treat itchy and irritated skin.
While not a substitute for veterinary care for any serious medical conditions or symptoms, CBD oil is safe for dogs, and avoids some of the side effects that can come with narcotics and other pharmaceuticals.
Whether you want to find CBD oil for dogs for pain, or you are looking to improve digestion, it is important that you are buying from reputable CBD companies.
This review of the best CBD oil for dogs includes well researched information about using these products, as well as reviews of the top products on the market today.
Table of Contents
- How much CBD oil should I give my dog?
- What are the effects of CBD oil on dogs?
- Best CBD Oil for Dogs – Reviews
How do you know if a company is reputable?
We all want the best for our pets. The fact that you are doing your research before running out and buying the cheapest CBD pet products is a great news because there are plenty of fly-by-night companies out there that are taking advantage of this growing health trend, without delivering the goods.
I have done a ton of research on the CBD industry in writing this blog. In fact, for all of the companies that I recommend, I include a full point-by-point analysis of the quality indicators that make me feel comfortable recommending their products which you can find by searching the company name on my search tool in the upper right corner of your screen.
In addition to the great reviews, you will find some negative company reviews on this site too so that you know the companies to steer clear of.
I only recommend specific products from companies that meet stringent quality indicators such as:
- Easy to access third-party testing to validate the quality of their products
- Use clean hemp oil manufacturing techniques such as ethanol or CO2
- Domestic manufacturing
- Solid sourcing of organic industrial hemp from trusted sources like Europe, Kentucky or Colorado
- Strong and authentic customer reviews from a variety of sources (I know how to spot the fakes!)
- Commitment to using natural ingredients wherever possible
How should I use CBD oil for Dogs?
The most common way to give your pup this supplement is CBD oil tinctures for dogs. These are minimally processed hemp oil with a pet safe carrier oil such as olive oil or MCT oil. In some cases, flavorings to make the oil more palatable are added.
Tinctures come in a small bottle with an eye dropper. Each manufacturer provides dosing instructions that are tailored to the potency of their product and the body weight of your dog. Just add the right amount to their feed for oral administration.
This review of the best CBD products for dogs also includes a few other types of products for you to consider. Mouth spray will provide the fastest relief, topical creams allow you to apply directly to the site of discomfort, and handy treats allow for very precise dosing and a plain old fun delivery method.
How much CBD oil should I give my dog?
The amount of CBD that is right for your canine companion will depend on a variety of factors, making it a decision that is probably best left to you and your holistic veterinarian.
The truth is that CBD has low toxicity in dogs so it is probably quite safe. However, there is a lack of scientific research on what the effective dosing would be when taken orally, for instance by adding drops to your dog’s food.
Your best bet is to follow the label instructions offered with your product and work with your vet to find the right dose for your pooch.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you switch products, be sure to revisit the dosing information. The potency of CBD tinctures can vary from one manufacturer to another.
Can I give my dog human CBD oil?
Yes, in some cases, but be careful. There are two main concerns here.
First, make sure that you read the full list of ingredients and check every one to be sure it is safe for dogs. For example, never give your dog a CBD oil that has grapeseed oil as a carrier, as this would be potentially fatal for some dogs. Also, sweeteners safe for humans, such as Xylitol, are extremely toxic to dogs. When in doubt about any ingredient, DO NOT give it to your dog.
Second, the dosing instructions given on CBD oil for people is not the same as CBD oil for dogs. Make sure if you go with a formula made for human consumption that you work with your vet to determine the right dosage for your pet.
What are the effects of CBD oil on dogs?
Dogs have an endocannabinoid system, just like people. This system is responsible for signaling certain processes that are still not entirely understood by the scientific and veterinary communities. It’s most common use is CBD for dogs anxiety & pain.
Research in humans (see my article on the health benefits of CBD) have shown potential healing benefits of CBD that include:
- Pain reduction
- Reduction in anxiety and depression
- Reduction of inflammation and pain.
- Anticonvulsant properties
- May have cancer fighting properties (It’s not a cure all for cancer!)
- Supports healthy digestion
- May improve skin health for both dry skin conditions and acne
- CBD oil for dog seizures
That being said, as usual, research on our pets is a bit behind the curve. While CBD has been shown to have low toxicity in dogs, we don’t yet have a lot of the kinds of research that we have with CBD and people.
However, many holistic vets have experience working with CBD and pets, and many will recommend it’s use under the right conditions. If your traditional vet is scoffing at the idea, you may want to consult with a holistic vet who may be more supportive of your desire to find a natural therapy option to treat your dog’s anxiety, pain, or skin allergies.
Is CBD oil for dogs the same as medical marijuana?
No. But this is a very common misconception. Medical marijuana typically has high levels of THC in additions to cannabinoids such as CBD. Medical marijuana is not legal in all states, and in those states where it is, it requires a prescription from a doctor.
CBD is different. It is made from industrial hemp, which contains less than .3% THC by law. It is legal, and it does not require a prescription. It is NOT psychoactive and it will NOT get your dog “high.”
Best CBD Oil for Dogs – Reviews
LolaHemp – Best All Around Choice
There are several reasons why family owned and operated LolaHemp is my top choice when it comes to CBD oil for dogs.
First things first, the quality indicators are there. In addition to using non-GMO and organic hemp for their full spectrum CBD oil, they offer third party lab testing on the site for every batch. Not only can you check to see that your oil will be contaminant free, you can verify that it is indeed a full spectrum oil with a detailed cannabinoids report.
Second is their stellar staff. Veterinarian Dr. Robert Silver is the founder of Boulder’s Natural Animal, a Holistic Wellness Center in Colorado. His expertise lends a lot of credibility to the team. With his guidance, specific dosing instructions are included on the product page, which gives first time buyers some much needed guidance to help their pets.
Finally, this is a company with a strong philanthropic focus that really helps them stand out. Inspired by their own rescue dog, Ms. Lola the chihuahua, LolaHemp has partnered with several animal rescue groups to donate one bottle for every four sold.
Right now their product line is focused on full spectrum oil tinctures only, although that may soon change. Coming in at around the middle range in terms of pricing, they are not the cheapest option on the market. However, for a quality full spectrum oil it is reasonable.
- Made from organic, non-GMO hemp
- Full spectrum CBD hemp oil for the Entourage Effect
- Up to date third party testing available for every batch
- Clear and easy to follow dosing guidelines provided on the website
- Strong commitment to animal welfare through a donation program
- Reasonably priced for a full spectrum product
- Limited product line – Tinctures only
Cannabidiol Life – Runner Up
Domestic manufacturing, organic hemp sourcing, and readily available third-party testing have made Cannabidiol Life one of the stand-out CBD companies and leaders in the industry. In addition to producing an excellent quality product for people, their line of pet tinctures is worth checking out.
One of the downsides of using a CBD tincture for dogs is the challenge of getting convenient and actual dosing. Unlike with people, our canine companions have a very large range in terms of body size. This of the few CBD manufacturers to offer breed size tinctures:
- Small: 1-12 lbs.
- Medium: 13-65 lbs.
- Large: 66 lbs. +
They also went out of their way to make use of the carrier oils that are necessary for proper dosing in tincture products have a purpose.
- MCT oil from coconut oil is thought to increase energy levels and improve skin and coat health.
- Salmon oil includes anti-inflammatory Omega 3 fatty acids and may also improve vision and cognitive health in your pooch.
While the pet tinctures at Cannabidiol Life are made with a full spectrum hemp oil, I think my next pick offers a more robust full spectrum tincture, so if you are on the lookout for that, be sure to check that out.
- Specific formulas for small, medium and large sized canines
- Reasonable price point, especially for the quality
- Additional ingredients including MCT oil and Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
- Full spectrum, organic ethanol extraction method
- Also carries CBD oil for cats
- Made from organic hemp and manufactured in the USA
- Third party testing available right on the product pages
- More robust full spectrum oils are available from other manufacturers (Read on!)
Diamond CBD – Best Variety CBD Products for Dogs
Offering one of the largest lines of products made specifically for dogs (and cats), Diamond CBD is a pet lover paradise in the CBD world. In addition to a full line of CBD tinctures that are dosed for three different sized dogs, they also have several CBD dog treat options which I will review in detail below.
They offer two different lines of CBD food additive for dogs: small, medium or large. One is bacon flavored and the other is 100% natural. The also have a full line of treats that I will include in my review of CBD dog treats below.
Diamond CBD works closely with non-GMO organic farmers in Kentucky, Colorado and Scandinavia in the development of their hemp oil. They use a clean CO2 extraction process for their hemp oil, however, although they do produce a full spectrum hemp oil, their pet products appear to be based on a CBD isolate.
The prices are mid-range when calculated per mg of CBD, and the quality is definitely there to justify the cost.
- Wide selection of size specific tinctures in two flavors
- Full line of CBD dog treats (reviewed in detail below)
- Reasonable pricing
- Third party testing available on the website
- Organic, non-GMO hemp sourced from Kentucky, Colorado and Scandinavia
- Clean CO2 extracted hemp oil
- Well trusted brand that is one of the leaders in the industry
- Excellent customer service
- Most of their pet products are developed with a CBD isolate so these are not full spectrum products
Receptra Naturals – Best Full Spectrum CBD for Pets
Based in Colorado, this family owned company works very closely with regional organic farmers to start with an excellent hemp as the basis for their full spectrum hemp oil. In addition, they use only the flowers of the plant and a gentle ethanol extraction to get one of the richest blends of cannabinoids in their CBD oil.
If you have any concerns about the quality of your product, you can trace every single bottle back to the original batch third party testing right on their website. This is an outstanding commitment to ensuring a high quality final product.
Finally, the price is right! Offering one of the best values for full spectrum CBD oil on the market, the CBD tinctures for dogs at Receptra Naturals are no exception.
If you are looking for CBD for dogs for anxiety or pain relief and your holistic vet has recommended a full spectrum product, this is an excellent choice.
- Excellent price point for a full spectrum product
- Robust full spectrum
- Easy to follow dosing instructions on the bottle
- All-natural ingredients
- MCT as a carrier oil for improved skin, coat and energy levels
- Batch third party testing allows you to trace every bottle to lab reports
- Precise dosing can be a little tricky for very small dogs
Other CBD Products for Dogs
Koi Naturals – Full Spectrum CBD Oil Spray for Pets
If you are looking for a fast-acting CBD product for your dog, consider a mouth spray. Because the CBD is absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth, it hits the bloodstream within minutes, rather than having to wait 20 or more minutes for the digestive system to make the cannabinoids available.
If you have found CBD to be effective in helping your canine companion deal with stressors such as being left alone, or getting in the car, a spray offers a quick acting solution for their anxiety or pain. Formulated by vets, so you know it is a safe product for your beloved pet.
Koi Naturals has a strong reputation in the CBD industry. They have very good quality indicators including providing batch specific third-party lab testing right on their website. If you take a look at the results, you will find a robust full spectrum cannabidiol. They also source and manufacture in the USA, which is very important when it comes to quality assurance.
Products at Koi Naturals are a little on the pricey side for sure, but given that this CBD spray for dogs includes a full 500mg of CBD in each bottle, this particular product is at a very reasonable price point.
- Potent and fast acting 500mg formula
- Easy to use on the go, just spray in the mouth or directly on food
- All-natural ingredients
- Excellent price when calculated per mg of CBD
- Full spectrum hemp oil with batch labs to back it up
- 0% THC formula
- Non-GMO, organic, domestic manufacturing
- Dosing can be a little imprecise because of the nature of spray bottles
Diamond CBD – Best CBD Dog Treats
I already went over the strong quality indicators that makes Diamond CBD a trustworthy CBD company: Transparent sourcing, organic, non-GMO, CO2 extraction, and easy to access lab testing on their products.
I wanted to make sure my readers were also aware of their full line of CBD dog treats because it is among the most well developed in the industry. They use all-natural ingredients, a full list of which is available on every product page.
They have followed the latest nutritional trends in the best canine foods on the market using whole food ingredients such as sweet potatoes and cranberries. In addition, they avoid meat by-products, considered one of the lower quality ingredients found in cheap pet food. And, all of their treats are manufactured in the USA.
To save you a little time browsing on their site, here are the flavors they have on offer along with the dosing per treat so you can find the right CBD dog treat for your pooch:
- Meaty Beef Treats (1.5mg each)
- Chicken Training Bites (1.5mg each)
- Beef Wraps (3mg each)
- Cheese Wraps (3mg each)
- Specialty Dog Biscuits (3mg each)
- Kabobs (4mg each)
- Gourmet Beef and Rice (4mg each)
- Jerky Sticks (4mg each)
- Salmon Bites (5mg each)
- Turkey, Peas and Blueberry Jerky (5mg each)
- Meaty Steak Treats (5.5mg each)
- Chicken Meatballs (7mg each)
- Liver Meatballs (7mg each)
- Wavy Bacon and Cheese Bites (10mg each)
- Turkey and Sweet Potato (16mg each)
- Chicken, Chick Pea and Blueberry (16mg each)
- Huge selection of CBD dog treats with lots of flavors to keep things interesting
- Precise dosing for any sized dog
- All-natural ingredients, and whole food nutrition
- Made in the USA
- Third party lab tests on website
- Organic, non-GMO industrial hemp sourcing
- One of the leaders in the CBD industry
- Outstanding customer service
- CBD isolate based, so it’s not full spectrum
- On the pricey side
Myaderm – CBD Topical for Pets
Myaderm has become an industry leader in the CBD topicals market. While there are many products out there for topical application of cannabinol, this is one of the few products out there that is specifically formulated for dogs.
Myaderm recommends their topical CBD cream for pets to reduce pain and inflammation from arthritis, or even help heal localized areas of dermatitis. While there isn’t a whole lot of research on the use of CBD as a topical with dogs, the use of CBD has been shown to an effective non-narcotic treatment in humans with dry skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis as well for the treatment of pain.
To use the product just rub a small dab of the cream on the affected areas and distract your dog with some treats for at least a minute after applying. Don’t worry, it is perfectly safe if your dog licks and ingests the cream, however, the longer it stays on the more effective it will be.
A benefit of directly applying CBD to the site of itchiness, dry skin or pain is that it will bring relief much faster than digesting CBD from an oral supplement.
Each bottle contains 30 grams of cream, with a total of 400mg of CBD in every tube. That brings this product to an incredibly reasonable price.
- One of the few CBD creams for dogs available on the market
- Affordable price
- Potent 400mg of CBD in every bottle
- Safe if ingested
- Zero THC formula
- Third party testing of every batch available right on the website
- Based on a CBD isolate so it’s not full spectrum
- Hemp sourcing and extraction methods are unknown
Whether you are looking for the best CBD oil for dogs or other ways to give your pup a safe CBD supplement for pain, anxiety, or dry and itchy skin, I hope I have helped you find products that are from the most trusted names in the CBD industry so that you can feel safe knowing you are providing only the best for your best friend.
Make sure to check back as I will continue to add to this review as I discover more products that I feel comfortable recommending to my readers. In addition, consider signing up below for my newsletter where I will send out updates on the latest products and CBD industry news.
Also, feel free to leave a comment after you have had a chance to try some of the products that I have reviewed. If you have a negative or positive experience, I want to know about it…and so do my readers!