Thanks for stopping by CBD Oil Geek to learn more about the best companies and products in the CBD industry. My goal is to provide well researched information and guidance for folks that want to learn more about CBD oil, a natural supplement with a variety of health benefits.
This review of the best CBD Oil for sleep will give you some background information about using cannabidiol for sleep, as well as recommend some of the best products to buy from trusted companies.
Top CBD Products That Will Help You Sleep at Night
CBD Pure is one of the most established and well respected brands in the CBD space.
They focus on tinctures and capsules.
Hemp Bombs Sleep Gummies
If you like your CBD to taste good then try Hemp Bombs CBD sleep gummies.
They have been formulated specifically to help you get to sleep at night.
They include Melatonin for extra sleepiness.
Best Vape Oil
So you prefer to vape your cbd oil?
Hemp Bombs make a great range of CBD E-liquid with some of the strongest and highest quality options on the market.
Sleep Disorders by the Numbers
If you are suffering from a lack of quality of sleep, you are not alone. In fact, the problem is a common feature of our modern lifestyle.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Approximately 35% of adults report getting less than 7 hours of sleep per night
- Not getting adequate sleep is associated with higher risk for other chronic diseases including: heart attack (3.4%), asthma (11.8%), cancer (9.8%), diabetes (8.6%), and depression (14.6%).
- Lack of sleep is associated with a higher risk of injury from accidents at work and while driving.
Worse, not being able to get consistent and sound sleep significantly decreases our quality of life. It makes it harder to be fully present and appreciate the joys that life has to offer. Although this aspect of sleep deprivation is hard to quantify, if you suffer from insomnia, you know exactly what I mean.
Problems with Pharmaceutical Sleep Aids
There are several classes of drugs that are commonly prescribed for sleep.
Over the counter options, often made with the active ingredient found in antihistamines are one popular option. Despite being widely perceived as safe and non-habit forming, these drugs can cause problems such as memory loss and cognitive dysfunction (particularly in elderly populations) with long term use.
The other two classes of drugs, available by prescription, include Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates. Both carry significant risks for addiction and abuse as well as potential overdose concerns.
Given the alternatives offered by traditional medicine, many people prefer to try natural solutions to get better sleep. CBD oil may be one such solution that is well tolerated, non-habit forming, non-intoxicating, and with few known side effects.
Can CBD Oil Help Me Sleep Better?
In a 2017 study conducted by the Brightfield Group, a full 60% of CBD users reported taking this supplement for improved sleep. But it is a little more complicated than CBD itself having a sedative effect. In fact, the opposite may be true in some cases.
The Endocannabinoid System is known to be involved in the regulation of sleep, through the CB1 receptor, among others. THC, the cannabinoid that is associated with the “high” of cannabis is well known to include a sedative effect.
CBD, on the other hand, when taken in isolation from other cannabinoids in hemp, may actually work as a wake agent. This is not all bad news – taking CBD to promote a more awake state during the day may actually promote a better night’s sleep that evening.
There are also indirect benefits that many people find gives CBD an edge as a natural sleep supplement. Poor sleep can be exacerbated by pain and anxiety, both of which many people find CBD helps with.
Tips for Taking CBD Oil for Sleep
One of the interesting things about cannabinoids is that they seem to vary greatly in terms of the effects they have on individuals. Even the same dose of the same product can affect different people differently. This seems to be especially true with CBD and sleep.
- Expect a bit of a trial and error process to find out when, how much, and what kind of CBD oil works best to promote better sleep in your case.
- It may be better to go with a full spectrum product to get the full relaxing benefits of the other compounds found in hemp.
- If you need to use a zero THC formula, try it during the day first since you may experience a more awake state for several hours prior to experiencing a more relaxed state.
- Start with a low dosage (10mg) and increase slowly over time, making some notes about how you feel to dial in what works for you.
CBD Oil for Sleep Reviews
If you want to start off with a basic high quality full spectrum CBD oil to promote better sleep, then CBDPure is a great choice. This company is well trusted in the industry and they offer a reasonably priced basic line of sublingual tinctures that are extremely popular.
As far as standing behind their product, make note of their 90 day full satisfaction guarantee. If you are not sure if CBD is right for you, this is a no risk way to give it a try.
- Minimal refinement of their oil results in a rich full spectrum tincture
- Their hemp is sourced organically in Colorado
- Prices are in the midrange, but not bad for a reliable full spectrum offering
- You can review third party lab testing on the website before you buy
- Full 90 day complete satisfaction guarantee – the best I have seen in this industry
- They only have a natural flavor (tastes like hemp)
- Tinctures and capsules are the only products they sell
CBDPure Hemp oil – I recommend the 300mg bottle (it is their middle size). This is a full month supply if you end up at a 10mg daily dose. Since it can take up to a week to experience the full effect of cannabidiol, this is the right place to start your better sleep journey.
Another USA based company that is making waves in the CBD world is Cannabidiol life. Started by four natives from Denver, Colorado, this company charges a bit more for their CBD oil, however, there are some reasons worth noting for the slight price difference.
As noted above, the various cannabinoids found in hemp may be more effective in terms of relaxation when they are working together. Full spectrum aficionados know that the extraction method is critical to preserving the delicate flavonoids and phytocannabinoids naturally found in hemp.
Cannabidiol Life takes this to extremes with a slow cold extraction technique that is gentle, even if it does take more time.
- Well developed product lines including specialty blends
- Production methods that extract a robust profile of cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids
- Manufactured in the USA
- Third party testing for quality viewable right on the product page
- One of the leaders in CBD education and awareness
- You can find cheaper CBD oil, but the quality is hard to beat
CBG Oil – One of the newest areas of research into the health benefits of cannabis is the exploration of other cannabinoids found in this plant. CBG, or cannabigerol, is one such compound. Although the research is still in its early stages, many users report that it has a calming effect that can help greatly with getting better sleep.
Cannabidiol Life is one of the first to offer a tincture with this important cannabinoid isolated, available in blueberry or watermelon flavors.
CBD Bundle – You may want to give different methods of enjoying the benefits of CBD a try, and this bundle variety pack is just the thing. It includes full spectrum capsules, gummies and a small bottle of oil tincture so you can try each to find out what works best for you.
Although full spectrum CBD oil is more popular for promoting better rest, the truth is that some folks need a THC free formula. For instance, those worried about a drug test at work. Since full spectrum products often include trace amounts of THC, sometimes products based on a CBD isolate is better.
Most of the products at Hemp Bombs are based on their isolate formula (except those otherwise marked). If you go this route, consider taking your supplement earlier in the day to perk up after a poor night’s rest and promote better sleep that evening.
- Huge line of products to try (gummies, vapes, oil, etc.)
- Wide selection of flavors across the board
- Experienced users will appreciate the High Potency line of CBD products
- Third party testing on the website
- Veteran discount program
- Manufactured in house from organic, European sourced hemp
- Some products, such as the gummies, are higher priced than you can find elsewhere
Max Chill Shot – This is a drink that is the opposite of an energy drink. It is a CBD infused chill-out drink. In addition to having 75mg of CBD isolate, it also has natural calming ingredients L-Theanine, White Willow Bark, N-Acetyl-5-Methoxy Tryptamine, and Passiflora. If you are new to using CBD, try a half shot first as it will probably be enough.
Relaxation Syrup – Another product made just for sleep is this drink additive syrup. Like the chill shots, it has plenty of supporting ingredients to promote better sleep. It is a little cheaper than the shots when calculated per mg of CBD. This is a zero THC formula.
Honestly, when I first heard about Receptra Naturals, I thought it might be one of those “too good to be true” scenarios. But really, it is more of a “best kept secret” situations.
First of all, the price per mg of CBD is extremely good – possibly because they have a bit of a niche following among athletes forcing them to be priced competitive with the huge health supplement market.
Second, they use only the flowers of organic hemp sourced in Colorado. If you know anything about cannabis, this is the richest part of the plant. The end result is a solid full spectrum oil at an affordable price.
- Fantastic bargain, especially for a rich full spectrum CBD oil
- Flowers only in their slow extraction process
- Worried about quality? There is third party testing right on the site
- Organic hemp sourced from Colorado farmers
- Natural or Berry flavor
- Limited range of products – a few oils and topicals
Health and Wellness Full Spectrum CBD Oil – The dosing for this product is by the dropper and it comes in either prime (22mg per dropper) or plus (44mg per dropper). If you are new to using CBD, I would recommend the prime to start even though the plus is a slightly better deal per mg of CBD.
Just a reminder, the best CBD oil for sleep is, for most people, a full spectrum CBD oil. CBDistillery is a Colorado based company that has made it their goal to focus on the health benefits of full spectrum extractions at a price that is accessible to everyone. They have a loyal customer following as a result.
- Excellent prices that get even better with larger orders
- Well developed line of oils, capsules as well as specialized terpene blends
- Transparent third party testing
- Significant discount program for veterans, emergency responders, and law enforcement
- Strong customer service
- Hemp oil line has only natural flavored oil
30mg Full Spectrum CBD Infused Softgels – Although many outlets offer CBD pills for sleep, it is hard to find softgels made with a high quality full spectrum oil such as that offered by CBDistillery. These are reasonably priced, and they also offer a vegan friendly capsule version. Looking for a THC free softgel? They have that as well.
Blue Dream Terpsolate – Isolates such as this are used by folks that like dabbing, although these isolates can also be added to food as a natural supplement. This particular blend is from the “Blue Dream” strain, prized for it’s relaxing properties.
When it comes to finding the best CBD oil for sleep, I hope this guide has given you the information you need.
One of the issues that I discussed was how CBD oil seems to effect people differently, and this seems to be especially true when it comes to improving rest.
If you have some experience finding a type of product, dosage and time of day that is working for you, please consider sharing it in the comments below to provide help to other readers looking to try this natural supplement for better sleep.